The INVALID_SOFTWARE_INTERRUPT error is one of the most frustrating error messages on Windows 10 that can prevent a user from performing certain actions. If you are also facing the same message on your PC, then you are in the right place to get it solved. Read this article carefully to fix the error:
Solution 1: Running Blue Screen Troubleshooter on Windows 10
The Windows 10 comes up with built-in troubleshooting programs called Windows Troubleshooters. Even for several particular issues, Microsoft has provided dedicated troubleshooters for each kind of issue. In this solution, we are going to run the Blue Screen Troubleshooter to solve the INVALID_SOFTWARE_INTERRUPT error. Here are the instructions to run it:
- First of all, Windows Logo + I, keys should be pressed at the same time to trigger the Settings app on your computer screen.
- Head to Update & Security.
- Make your way to the option saying Troubleshoot using the left side panel.
- Now find the Blue Screen option located on there.
- Then make your way to Run the troubleshooter.
- Now let the process begin and complete.
- Once done, follow the onscreen instructions if there are any to solve the issue.
- Reboot the device.
Solution 2: Turn Off Automatic Reboot
It is one of the most effective ways to get rid of BSOD error, including the INVALID_SOFTWARE_INTERRUPT error. Follow the given below details to Turn off Auto Restart on Windows 10:
- Make a combination with the Start + D keys on your keyboard to jump to the home screen of your PC.
- Now make right-click on the THIS PC icon.
- Choose Properties.
- On the succeeding page, make your way to Advanced systems settings using the left menu.
- Once the System Properties window appears, head to Settings inside the Startup and Recovery sub-heading.
- Now draw your mouse cursor over the System Failure option and then unselect Automatically restart.
- Make your way to OK and then close the wizard.
- Reboot the device to see if the error persists.
Solution 3: Start into Safe Mode
The safe mode is capable of resolving the INVALID_SOFTWARE_INTERRUPT error effortlessly since it boots your system with minimum resources of your operating system. Here is how to make it happen:
- On the Start button, make a right-click and then choose Settings on the emerged list.
- As soon as it loads completely, choose Update & Security.
- Prefer Recovery using the left window and move to the parallel right.
- Slide down to Advanced startup part and hit on Restart now switch situated beneath it.
- Head to the Troubleshoot to go on.
- Navigate to the Advanced options and make your way to Startup Settings.
- Get to the Restart button.
- Afterward, push the f4 key to permit Safe Mode.
Solution 4: Deleting the Problematic Files and Patches
The problematic Windows Updates files, patches, and updates can sometimes create a buggy operating system that can lead to INVALID_SOFTWARE_INTERRUPT error code. So follow the below steps to fix them up:
- Hit on Action Center using the distant right on the Taskbar of your PC.
- Make your way to All Settings.
- Once the Settings app comes into view, navigate to the Update & Security option, and then hit on it.
- Opt for Windows Update using the left side window and then shift to the adjoining right side.
- Select View update history and then head to Uninstall updates.
LAURA BARTON is a Norton product expert and has been working in the technology industry since 2002. As a technical expert, Laura has written technical blogs, manuals, white papers, and reviews for many websites such as norton.com/setup.